Costain is a leading provider of engineering solutions to UK water utility companies across the asset lifecycle.
Population growth, regulatory changes, energy costs and climate change are having a dramatic impact on water usage. The national approach to managing water supply is changing to meet these challenges. The Government and industry regulator are tasked with cutting wastage and preserving an increasingly valuable resource, while protecting consumers from higher water bills.
What does this mean?
- A new operating approach, with an emphasis on whole life costing, ‘no build’ solutions and optimising field force and maintenance activities
- A greater focus on energy efficiency, resilience issues around climate change and regulation, regulation change and increased competition driven by OFWAT and DEFRA
- Rising demands around customer satisfaction
- Since privatisation, investment in water has been in ageing assets; going forward, the water industry will be about combining infrastructure investments with maintenance, repair and operations.
The Costain solution
We have transformed our business to deliver this capability for our customers by increasing our expert advisory services, investment capability and maintenance and operations resources.
Our water sector team offers:
- Expert input into consultation documents, close work with Government and water companies and innovative delivery, all of which help to minimise costs to water users while meeting national investment needs
- A manufacturing mindset: programme optimisation advisory services, standard product development, production controls, whole-life costing and lean delivery processes
- Cross-sector best practice: we provide value for our customers by drawing on experience from across Costain
- Technology integration: working with some of the UK’s leading asset and data analytics organisations we analyse large volumes of real time data to create greater benefits for our customers through optimised maintenance, pump operation, energy and chemical usage.
Latest in Water