National Skills Academy Status For Costain
3 July 2012
Costain, working with Southern Water on its Capital Improvement Asset Management Programme as part of 4Delivery Ltd* (4D), has gained National Skills Academy for Construction (NSAfC) status for the next three years.
Achieving Academy status is a first for the water frameworks as it will cover around 70 sites across Kent, Sussex, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, rather than having a project-based Academy where the workforce is based in one location.
The aim of the National Skills Academy for Construction is to improve the performance of projects and deliver a legacy of improved skills by harnessing the training and employment opportunities within the construction industry’s supply chain, including clients, professional services, contractors and sub-contractors.
The National Skills Academy agenda provides an on-site virtual training academy that will support the project in the following areas:
• The 14 – 19 years agenda supporting schools, colleges, universities and other local authority schemes with advice guidance and work experience opportunities;
• New entrants into construction such as apprentices and graduates;
• Upskilling project and the supply chain staff with Leadership & Management, Health & Safety and National Vocational Qualifications; and
• Leaving a legacy for the local community by providing employment and work experience opportunities.
This support will be provided through a funded Project Skills Co-ordinator with their role acting as a focal point between the client, project and supply chain, local authority, employment agencies, training providers and the local community.
The workforce will receive an average of four days’ skills training per person per annum and included in the outcomes that the project will deliver are 26 Apprentices, 52 number 14 to 19 work experience placements and 120 curriculum support events.
Commenting, Costain’s Water Sector Director, Graham Keegan, said: “We are delighted to have been awarded National Skills Academy for Construction (NSAfC) status. Creating opportunities for young people within the construction industry and upskilling the existing workforce is central to our Costain Cares strategy and this initiative will hopefully leave a lasting legacy for the communities in which we serve.”
4D Training Manager and Academy Lead, George Hilliar, added: “This is an exciting challenge in delivering training and support across a dispersed workforce and large geographical area. With support from Construction Skills and the projects knowledge and experience, we will deliver a legacy recognised by all our stakeholders.”
* 4Delivery Ltd is a consortium comprising Costain, Veolia Water and Montgomery Watson Harza (MWH).