We use cookies to help improve your online experience. If you continue to use our website, we will assume that you’re happy with this.
Learn more about cookies and how to change your settings in our Privacy and cookies policy.

Network Rail Award For Farringdon Team

20 August 2013

Costain’s major project to completely refurbish London’s Farringdon rail and Tube station has picked up another award.

The Costain Laing O’Rourke joint venture (jv) won the Sustainable Excellence title at the Network Rail Partnership Awards for its work to bring the Grade II-listed mid-19th century station up to modern standards and prepare it for current and future expansion.

Among the sustainability aspects noted by the judges were:

• diversion of 100% of waste from landfill;

• high recycled content of steel and concrete;

• a 700m² ‘living roof’ on the new integrated booking hall to provide foraging grounds for black redstarts;

• and sensitive handling of heritage considerations.

“This partnership has really gone the extra mile to improve sustainability,” the judges commented.

Most of the waste was re-used on site, with the bulk of what was removed being shipped to a transfer station where 95% was recycled and the remaining 5% sent to a waste-to-energy power station, said Hannah Rich, Environmental Manager at Farringdon and who now holds a similar position at the London Bridge Station redevelopment project.

Some 8450 tonnes of demolition material was re-used on site, eliminating the need for 850 lorry movements and 30 tonnes of CO₂.

Soil removed from the site was distributed to various project sites around the capital, while 100% recycled steel was used in much of the permanent works. Brickwork arches were rebuilt to the original 19th-century pattern using reclaimed bricks that were hand-sorted to ensure an authentic appearance of the new brickwork.

Wooden shop facades outside the station entrance were also restored.

The award was presented at London’s Park Plaza Hotel.

Ends