BITC, one of The Prince’s Charities, advises, supports and challenges its members to create a sustainable future for people and the planet and to improve business performance. With a membership of more than 850 companies, BITC represents one in five of the UK private sector workforce and convenes a network of global partners.
The BITC CR Index is the UK's leading voluntary benchmark for Corporate Responsibility. It helps companies to integrate and improve responsibility throughout their operations by providing a systematic approach to managing, measuring and reporting on their business impacts on society and the environment.
Feedback from the Index assessment allows companies to:
- Identify risks and opportunities of responsible business
- Challenge whether the business is conducting its activities in a systematic and integrated way
- Identify areas of good performance and areas for improvement
- Provide a practical framework for improving performance and communicating progress
- Provide credible, independent information to internal and external stakeholders, demonstrating the company's commitment to transparency and continuous improvement
Analysis of the 2015 CR Index data suggests that significant progress is being made to shift responsible business up the corporate agenda with an increase in companies taking social and environmental issues into account when developing new products and making investments. The overall average score of the CR Index has also increased from 85% in 2014, to 91%, demonstrating the increased relevance of corporate responsibility to business operations.
Costain achieved a score of 94%.