Pilot project for EOR scheme
Costain performed highly technical design work and delivered effective and efficient project management of the test project to aid the client’s ultimate desire to secure enhanced oil recovery.
- Service 1
Consultancy & advisory
The client wanted a project management team to carry out a pilot for polymer transfer, storage and injection as part of an enhanced oil recovery scheme. Costain was contracted to deliver the facilities on the offshore assets as well as modifications on the supply boat transporting the chemical.
Costain formed a pilot team to oversee design and modification works. Our services included conceptual planning for transportation and delivery of the polymer offshore as well as managing the substantial risks associated. The project features included unique chemical handling requirements and low shear pumping facilities. It had a wide range of pumping turndown requirements, risk of polymer spill and pipe blockages. This challenging project was delivered successfully.
Costain’s main responsibilities were:
- Complete project management of the polymer pilot
- Provision of facilities to transport and offload polymer
- Topside modifications
- Structural design work for handling up to 10 ISO tanks on supply boat
- Design of pump sump skid and three wheel hose reel facility
- Reinstatement of storage facilities
- Design of polymer injection and mixing facilities
- Requirement to handle unique chemical combinations
- Managing risk of pipe blockages
- Managing risk associated with spilled polymer
- Reinstatement of existing test separator to three phase