We support the UK Ministry of Defence in their work to protect our people, values and interests by delivering and maintaining its strategic infrastructure needs.
The defence industry in the UK is being challenged to be more adaptable, more flexible and more connected than ever before. This challenge exists across the whole infrastructure lifecycle – ensuring maximum capability from cutting edge innovation and legacy systems alike. Delivering these plans requires the UK to maximise asset efficiency and effectiveness. As an integrated delivery partner, we deliver value for money, reduce complexity and provide certainty and success across our clients’ projects, programmes and large portfolios to maximise through-life operational value. Our culture, governance, systems and processes are robustly built from our heritage in major infrastructure programmes and sustained by long-term investment in innovation and the development of our people.
What might this mean?
- Providing value for money to the taxpayer by delivering on time, within budget and to high quality standards
- Identifying the right advice on procurement, contracting, stakeholder engagement and buildability
- Taking a whole life view of capability, providing solutions from programme conception to optimising in service assets
- Adapting at pace where technology advances faster than procurement
- Harnessing the best research and development, both military and civil.
How Costain can help?
We leverage 150 years of delivering complex programmes, our leading-edge digital technology teams, world-class behavioural science work and P3M expertise to help clients transform performance of equipment and infrastructure projects and delivery teams. By working in partnership with clients, we can provide a service that delivers sustainable and transformative change.
Our defence team offers:
- Advisory and concept development – bringing expert knowledge and experience, we help clients to develop sustainable, optimised plans and investments in infrastructure, people and processes. We provide a fully integrated offering of complex portfolio, programme and project management advisory services and our experience of managing complex programme delivery means we ask the right questions that keeps things on track, providing assurance, efficiency and right first-time results.
- Optimising digital – we transform business performance and infrastructure intelligence to optimise our clients’ existing infrastructure assets through lateral innovation from other highly regulated and competitive sectors.
- Enhancing teams – we embrace a ‘one team’ culture, as supported by our ISO44001 accreditation. We are also proven and accredited behavioural science specialists building our understanding of behaviours into everything we do, enabling people to step back and invest in thinking differently, behaving appropriately and evolving to meet transformational change needs.
- Operational optimisation - we take a through life approach integrating service delivery and technology solutions to deliver efficient, effective and agile operations and maintenance from the development of new infrastructure and assets to the maintenance and optimisation of existing assets.
Transformational portfolio, programme and project management (P3M)
The effective operational and commercial management of complex inter-related projects is critical to many defence programmes. Our programme management skills provide confidence that project delivery will be achieved within agreed time, cost and performance targets.
Read the Right Result Playbook
Behavioural leadership coaching and P3M training
Our strategic advice supports teams and leaders throughout the implementation of sustainable change and improvements to major schemes through applied P3M training and executive behavioural coaching. We are also a leading training provider for the provision of earned value management (EVM) and control account manager (CAM) training to major defence contractors.
Digital technology development, integration, security and support
From strategic advisory through to digital integration and bespoke software and hardware, our technology capability spans the defence lifecycle. Where we add real value is through the integration of existing systems and processes for better outcomes and decision making. Our in-house digital technology team design, rapidly prototype, manufacture, integrate and support bespoke electronics, high integrity software and systems, as well as help clients navigate from legacy to new secure, open systems.
Operational optimisation and security
We optimise the performance and security of individual assets or entire networks of assets at any point in the lifecycle. We transform infrastructure intelligence through the development and integration of leading-edge digital technology solutions built on our deep domain knowledge and client insight.
Optimisation of processes, systems and infrastructure can achieve improved outcomes such as increasing efficiency, effectiveness and resilience whilst having minimal impact on operations. Optimisation encourages a proactive response rather than reactive. We harness our cross sector experience in delivering programme, portfolio and project management to deliver agile, mature systems.
Latest in Defence
As a professionally qualified engineer and P3M leader, Gary has proven qualities in delivering change and bringing structure, control and momentum to complex, strategic, technical and politically sensitive programmes.
Looking forward, Peter is excited at the prospect of the profession using artificial intelligence, business information modelling and digital twin to keep it at the heart of any process.