Energy networks and storage
Safely delivering the energy infrastructure that will satisfy the UK’s future energy needs.
The demand for new power generation and transmission assets continues to increase. We need to replace ageing power stations and grid networks, and prepare for an increase in electricity demand over future decades. We must also ensure that we have a safe and flexible gas network, capable of providing the heat and energy that our economy needs.
What might this mean?
- Upgrading and expanding transmission and distribution infrastructure.
- Creating flexible networks to incorporate the demands of carbon reduction measures such as increased electric vehicle charging and a hydrogen gas network.
The Costain solution
We bring an asset lifecycle perspective to energy infrastructure projects supported by seamless transitions between project phases, and shortened lead times and outages. This is ideal for a RIIO environment - a performance-based model introduced by Ofgem to set price controls to ensure consumers pay a fair price for this investment.
Our energy networks and storage team offers:
- Agile commercial models and approach: Our ability to offer flexible solutions and forms of contract allow operations to change with the market.
- Asset digitisation and information integration: Planning, capture, validation and integration of asset information to generate insights; adding value to our clients’ assets.
- Partner for life: Asset management, construction, operations and maintenance and decommissioning and disposal at the end of an asset’s life
- Enhancing sustainability: We provide digital solutions to enable clients to quantify, manage and reduce waste, carbon and other environmental impacts, supporting the transition to a low carbon and circular economy.
- Future skills development: We have a commitment to bring new talent into the energy industry via graduate programmes and apprenticeships.
Our team of electrical transmission and distribution specialists have strong experience with clients, regulators and in supply chain delivery.
- Distribution FEED studies
- Consulting: for protection, commissioning and asset management
- Overhead lines, cables and substation development, construction and commissioning capability
- Expert strategic partners and joint ventures designed and optimised for the RIIO environment.
Our gas distribution network needs to undergo significant changes to allow us to decarbonise our energy system, comply with environmental legislation and upgrade ageing assets. This must be achieved with minimal disruption to customers of the gas network.
We can help you appraise, design, construct, commission and operate your gas distribution facilities, providing you with safe, environmentally compliant solutions which do not compromise on reliability or robustness.
Learn more about our gas networks capabilities.
Energy storage technologies have a key role to play in buffering the intermittent nature of renewable energy generation, safeguarding security of supply for the UK.
Our multi-disciplinary front end solutions team has the expertise to carry out techno-economic evaluations of potential energy storage schemes, and assess their viability with a technology neutral approach.
We have the knowledge to provide optimal solutions tailored for specific gas storage application including:
- Hydrocarbon dewpoint control
- Dehydration (including TEG and molecular sieves)
- Inhibitor injection and regeneration
- Liquids handling facilities (including slug catchers).
Our expertise in storage extends to compressed air energy storage and hydrogen storage, where we have carried out conceptual studies to meet our clients’ requirements.