Oil & gas and hydrocarbon generation
Costain has been central to the evolution of the UK’s energy infrastructure, helping to manage our natural resources, power generation and distribution, for over 60 years.
The UK’s mature oil & gas industry is currently facing challenges relating to ageing assets, depleting fields and the need to revolutionise the industry to meet environmental commitments, maximise economic recovery and embrace innovative technologies. The climate change emergency has led to increasing focus on decarbonisation and energy efficiency within the sector. There has never been a more pressing time to innovate.
- Focus on value engineering in development of offshore and onshore greenfield and brownfield projects
- Innovative approaches to maximise economic recovery of smaller, previously unviable fields
- Improved collaboration between client and supply chain, ensuring efficient project delivery and cost effective outcomes
- Optimisation of assets for life extension, performance enhancement and environmental compliance
- Development and implementation of innovations and new technologies to reduce carbon output
- Rethinking the UK’s approach to energy generation, utilisation and storage.
The Costain solution
Costain offers full project lifecycle consultancy, engineering and delivery execution services throughout the lifetime of our clients’ assets.
- Client focus: Our award-winning front end solutions team work with you to produce options tailored to address your development and operational challenges.
- Assured deliverability: Our consultancy advice is always grounded in the understanding of consequences and deliverability gained from 75 years of delivering gas processing facilities worldwide. This provides assurance, efficiency and right first-time results.
- Reliable project controls: Our project management and controls specialists keep your project on track, with the flexibility and adaptability to react to unplanned events.
- Asset optimisation: By optimising individual assets or entire networks of assets we can minimise project costs while delivering benefits such as extending asset life, maximising productivity and ensuring compliance with environmental legislation.
We provide high quality engineering and project management services to the offshore oil and gas industry, thanks to the talent and commitment of our high calibre, experienced people. high quality engineering and project management services to the offshore oil and gas industry, thanks to the talent and commitment of our high calibre, experienced people.
Our strength is in the exploration and production sector, from field appraisal studies to brownfield modifications. An integrated asset lifecycle perspective, supported by seamless transition between project phases, shortens lead times, enhances the quality of project delivery and provides value-adding project and technology innovation.
Learn more about our offshore capability.
Costain has an international reputation in the onshore oil and gas sector for our innovative approach to complex engineering and process projects.
We provide value adding consultancy and advisory services that are outcome focussed and grounded in deliverability, based on our experience of complex programme delivery in highly regulated and physically complex environments.
We can optimise individual assets or entire networks of assets at any point in the lifecycle by applying a tried and tested systems thinking and systems engineering based approach.
Solutions to enhance our client operability and profitability include:
- design, engineering and construction of major processing units
- plant modifications and upgrades
- engineering term services
- asset management and industrial services.
Learn more about our onshore services.
Reducing emissions from the power sector has been identified as one of the top priorities in decarbonising the economy. Although good progress has been made in this area, with emissions now down more than 65% on 1990 levels, it is vital that development and adoption of decarbonised power, heat and transport options is implemented at a greater rate. To meet the UK’s net zero carbon emissions target by 2050, thermal power generation plants must convert to low or zero carbon fuel (biomass or hydrogen for example) and capture and safely store produced CO2.
Costain provides consultancy services for combined heat and power plants (CHP) and emissions reduction via utilisation of carbon capture and storage (CCS) schemes. Furthermore, as an essential consideration for future energy transition, we can advise on conversion to hydrogen as a fuel for power generation.
In addition, our industrial cooling team provides asset support and optimisation of existing power and industrial plant through maintenance of critical cooling systems.
Learn more about our services in hydrocarbon generation.