Hydrogen and carbon capture and storage
Why choose Costain
Our unique blend of expertise means we are well placed to help tackle this challenge, including:
- In-depth knowledge of the gas transmission and distribution networks and gas compression
- Leading edge capability in design and build, technology selection and optimisation for large-scale gas processing and separation facilities
- A track record of executing innovative feasibility and concept design work
- A safety culture and in-depth experience of ensuring safe operation of hydrogen facilities
- Deep understanding of carbon capture and storage, including intellectual property to reduce the cost of carbon capture from hydrogen.
We are technical advisers on the processes, systems and technologies that will enable the widespread adoption of hydrogen during the transition to a zero-carbon energy system. Our experts support business case development as well as the design, implementation and operation of associated infrastructure and network upgrades.
Costain has experience of a range of carbon capture technologies, particularly low temperature separation, and is continuing to develop innovative processes. The unusual physical behaviour of high pressure CO₂ is a particular consideration in the design of systems for carbon capture, usage and storage.
Robert Beresford is one of our extraordinary net zero pioneers who is helping accelerate Costain's race to net zero. He's working with our client to develop a first of a kind underground hydrogen storage facility in Cheshire. The project will play a significant part in the UK’s race to net zero by evolving solutions for storing hydrogen at scale.