We work with our customers to develop and optimise the strategic infrastructure that will enable economic growth at both the local and national level.
The road network is a crucial part of the national transport system and is vital to the UK. It provides real and direct economic benefits: to business, to workers, to users. Better connections support individual towns and cities and strengthen the country as a whole. Failures of the road network increase costs, stifle employment opportunities and make it harder to do business in the UK.
What might this mean?
Our road network requires significant investment. Road congestion is forecast to keep increasing, costing the economy billions each year and causing frustration to road users. The road network is also an aging asset.
The Government’s response in December 2014 was to announce 'Roads Investment Strategy' the biggest-ever upgrade of the UK’s existing roads. The government has committed £15 billion to improve the national road network.
- £6 billion to resurface 80% of the national network
- £9 billion to add 1,300 extra lane miles
- Over 60 junction improvements to the national road network.
Through the national infrastructure plan the Government will also be providing local authorities in England with £5.8 billion over 2014-2020 for the maintenance of local highways.
The Costain solution
Costain provides a full range of highway services, from asset inspection and assessment, scheme development, managing the statutory process, detailed design and construction, commissioning and handover, and maintenance and aftercare.
Our highways sector team offers:
- Innovative, technology-driven asset optimisation solutions which reduce maintenance costs and extend asset life
- Accelerated delivery through tested off-site manufacturing, collaboration and engagement techniques
- System integration and information optimisation to enable customers to make whole life decisions
- Complex programme delivery
- Services delivered applying BS 11000 collaborative working principles and an industry-leading Building Information Modelling (BIM) approach
- Collaboration with industry sector partners, such as car manufacturers, to deliver a road network which is fit for purpose for the future
- Economic benefits beyond the road network
- Close customer collaboration to deliver a wide range of highway schemes in a high-quality, safe and sustainable way.
Major scheme delivery
- Project management through the statutory processes: NSIP and Public Inquiry (M6 Heysham, A556 Knutsford, A160 Immingham and A465 Heads of the Valleys)
- Accelerated delivery
- Value engineered schemes that deliver savings
- Detailed design and delivery.