Our graduate scheme covers 11 diverse disciplines, from our traditional roots in Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying and Mechanical Engineering through to Bid Authoring and Finance. We are broadening this further to encompass technology disciplines such as computer and data science.
Why choose Costain?
Costain provides a career in a well-recognised and respected organisation. As a member of our graduate programme, you will:
- Work alongside high calibre colleagues
- Have opportunities in a diverse range of sectors, locations and business areas
- Be able to access a company-approved further-learning scheme so BEng graduates can bridge the gap to MEng learning whilst saving a year’s tuition fees.
What we offer
We aim to kick start your career through a two-year accredited development programme, enhanced by behavioural and technical skills training in specific skill sets, designed to fast track you to Chartered Status with a wide number of professional institutions within five years.
The programme includes:
- Annual week-long training programmes, designed to supplement your development at crucial times, allowing you to concentrate time on your own development, build all-important relationships with your cohort and to network with senior Costain staff
- A number of 3-5 day modular training courses, as well as regular technical and safety-critical courses in line with your role and the sector or project in which you work
- An opportunity to work on live business tasks sponsored by Costain’s senior leadership team, engaging you with our research, innovation and corporate responsibility agenda while enabling you to develop competencies above and beyond those you are expected to demonstrate during the day job
- Fully trained professional development mentors and regular professional development days where you can learn from graduates from your disciple or discipline leads
- A Graduate Development Centre to consolidate your learning on the programme, promote further self-awareness and introduce a structure for managing your ongoing career.
We want to provide work experience that supplements our graduates’ development and meets their aspirations. We give you the flexibility to rotate around Costain’s sectors and projects. We also offer internal secondments so you can explore new areas of the business and external secondments so you can work with our partners or supply chain to build your capabilities in areas such as engineering design.
What we’re looking for
At Costain, we look for skilled, energetic and motivated students and graduates who are committed to making us the leader in meeting national needs.
We require a 2:1 degree or above in a relevant degree subject (this will depend on the job).
Our graduate vacancies open in September/ October each year and normally close at the end of December. Successful applicants will be invited to attend an assessment centre held during December to March. Graduates join the company at the beginning of August and start with a one-week induction programme before beginning work in their respective roles.