Costain cuts its own emissions by 38% on journey to net zero
15 August 2023
- Company’s latest Carbon Reduction Plan shows big reduction in Scope 1 emissions
- Scope 2 emissions cut by 19%
- Emission intensity down by 10%
Costain’s latest Carbon Reduction Plan shows a 38% reduction in Scope 1 emissions (those we’re directly responsible for) thanks to our transition to low-carbon fuels. Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) made up 80% of our fuel mix last year compared with just 12% in 2021.
The company has also seen a 24% reduction in the use of natural gas and a 19% reduction in its Scope 2 emissions (indirect emissions such as from electricity generation) due to improved efficiencies, for example in office electricity use. Overall, by turnover (tCO2e/£M), total emissions across Scope 1, 2 and 3 have decreased by 10% against our baseline, and we continue to work towards our goal of net zero by 2035.
Scope 3 emissions from activities such as business travel, waste, water and energy and fuel-related activities saw a reduction against the baseline. This is the largest area of our footprint and continues to be our focus to ensure we capture and manage our emissions. We continue to improve our Scope 3 data maturity, working with our supply chain to ensure we are collectively working towards a net zero future.
Since launching our Climate Change Action Plan in 2020, significant achievements have been made towards our ambition to lead UK infrastructure to a net zero future:
- We have established a carbon baseline, reduction target and tangible action plan for all relevant projects
- We introduced a Low Carbon Materials mandate which will reduce the carbon associated with our concrete / cement and asphalt, improve data through tagging 3D models and encourage sustainable procurement practices
- In 2022, 99% of the cars delivered to our staff were ultralow or low emissions vehicles (ULEVs and LEVs)
- Last year, 100% of our office electricity consumption was procured using REGO (renewable energy guarantees of origin) backed tariffs.
Geraint Rowland, Costain’s environmental director, said: “Eliminating carbon emissions is fundamental to ensure we help shape UK infrastructure to mitigate and adapt to the global challenge of climate change. We are on a journey to be a clean growth leader by cutting our own emissions but also working with government, regulators and clients to enable the uptake of low carbon technologies such as electric vehicles, carbon capture and storage, and hydrogen to cut carbon emissions across every sector.”
Discover more about our climate change solutions Climate change solutions | Costain
Enquiries: Jemma Savage, Headland
Notes to Editors
Costain helps to improve people’s lives by creating connected, sustainable infrastructure that enables people and the planet to thrive. We shape, create, and deliver pioneering solutions that transform the performance of the infrastructure ecosystem across the UK’s energy, water, transportation, and defence & nuclear markets.
We are organised around our customers, anticipating and solving their challenges and helping to improve performance. By bringing together our unique mix of construction, consulting, and digital experts we engineer and deliver sustainable, efficient, and practical solutions.
For more information visit Being a responsible business | Costain