Integrating technology to create a collaborative data environment
We were engaged by our client to bring a highly complex project of national significance, back on track. Our role involved working with an evolving supply chain to integrate processes and systems to deliver a single version of the truth to the client.
- Service 1
Consultancy, digital technology solutions, complex delivery
- Service 1
- Service 1
P3M, project controls, commercial, BIM, procurement, SHE and commissioning
We took on the role of programme manager on this one off, once in a generation, infrastructure project of significant strategic importance to the UK Government.
The design was at an advanced level of maturity and construction was in progress. We saw the opportunity for BIM and technology integration to improve the overall programme and create a collaborative data environment. A behavioural lens also provided a new way of working for the Client and the supply chain to improve outcomes. Over the year of implementation, the benefits realised covered the cost of implementation and maintenance for the 5-year project. We delivered the following:
- Audit improvements - all processes are controlled by the system keeping both the BIM data up to date and ensuring the single source of truth is realised. The comprehensive use of this system has improved the audit pass rate dramatically from 20% to over 90%
- Automatic, regular updates of data for clean reporting - we incorporated COSPLAN, a standalone package, which links Primevera P6 to our own COSBI to automatically progress reporting on site. It produces weekly and monthly project control reports, float analysis, trend graphs, milestone reports
- Visualisation to improve design - the BIM model has the functionality to use Virtual Reality (VR) and Mixed Reality (MR) technology which has multiple applications such as training, environment visualisation and clash detection
- Behaviour at the core - introduced behavioural change leadership to change the ethos and culture on site and with the supply chain
- Driven efficiency and savings – assured quality by ensuring the supply chain used the same configurations by using a federated model.
Contact and social
Defence and nuclear