Costain is supporting the decarbonisation of the UK's energy infrastructure by improving existing asset efficiency and life extension while leading the transition to a sustainable clean, green energy future.
From targeted net-zero emissions by 2050, to concerns around the security of supply, the increasing awareness of climate change impacts and rising energy prices, the UK energy sector is facing significant challenges from political, environmental and social pressures. To solve these challenges and meet the targets, major changes need to be made to the way energy is produced, transported, stored and used.
What this might mean?
- Decarbonising energy through innovative hydrogen and decarbonisation solutions
- Enabling cost effective and large-scale capture, transport and storage of CO₂
- Reducing capital expenditure and environmental impact of gas infrastructure
- Improving security of supply of remote networks
- Assuring delivery certainty for major asset optimisation and capital programmes
- Enhancing energy efficiency of industrial processes and oil and gas infrastructure.
How Costain can help?
We continue to work with industry, transport and energy utilities to shape the decarbonised energy systems of the future. Our deep client insight and industry knowledge, gained over 155 years of delivering integrated complex programmes across multiple sectors, equips us to provide advice and practical options that help our clients and Government to effectively transition to a sustainable clean, green energy future and achieve better outcomes.
Our energy team offers:
- Innovation that shapes future solutions: We ask, listen and leverage our broad range of experts and research and development teams who collaborate with industry and partners in the relentless pursuit of driving best practice and innovation in energy infrastructure.
- Right first time approach: Bringing expert knowledge and experience, we help clients to develop sustainable, optimised plans and investments in infrastructure, people and processes. We provide feasibility studies, project evaluation, risk assessments and optimum concept advice. This when coupled with our experience of managing complex programme delivery means we ask the right questions that keeps things on track, providing assurance, efficiency and right first-time results.
- Value creation enabled by a digital mindset: We have a proven track record in pan-domain data management and in developing, integrating and maintaining digital solutions in new and mature operating environments across highly regulated and competitive sectors.
- Cross sector best practice delivery: We provide greater value by drawing upon multi-disciplinary capabilities and experience from other parts of the Group including water, transportation, and defence. This allows us to apply the most relevant expertise where it will deliver the greatest positive impact.
To meet the UK’s decarbonisation target, we must make significant changes in the way we heat our homes, power industry, generate electricity and fuel our vehicles. We believe one of the most practical options to achieve clean energy growth is hydrogen. Our engineering and consultancy experts are supporting clients, industrial clusters and key stakeholders with their strategic intentions around hydrogen to move us rapidly towards a decarbonised economy.
Oil and gas
We provide safe, reliable solutions to complex challenges across the offshore and onshore oil and gas sectors. From feasibility studies and project management to full EPCm projects, our experts deliver innovation and engineering excellence across the whole project lifecycle.
Our highly skilled team get the best results from our clients’ investments by providing advice, engineering, design and management expertise in all aspects of project delivery from concept, construction and commissioning to decommissioning and disposal.
Electricity and gas networks
We bring an asset lifecycle perspective to energy infrastructure projects supported by seamless transitions between project phases, and shortened lead times and outages. This is ideal for a RIIO environment - a performance-based model introduced by Ofgem to set price controls to ensure consumers pay a fair price for this investment.
Our industrial cooling team applies the same high standards for which Costain is respected in the engineering world to support services operations. We listen to each client’s requirements then tailor individual service packages to meet their needs. We deliver cost effective processes combined with the highest standards of safety and customer service.